Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins 
Release: May 1, 2012
Source: Purchased 


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?




This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.


I am not a huge Angel or paranormal fan. It is one of the only genres that's very hit and miss for me. But this book? It's a gem.

Anna Whitt is a good girl. You could say that she was "born that way" rather than "raised that way". It's in her very blood; she's half angel, half demon, and always struggling between the pull towards good and evil.

Kaiden is a demon, but he's more more than that. He's the father of the "Duke of Lust". Along with other demons, its his job to lure humans into sin. When Anna meets Kaiden, he opens up to her a world of evil that she never knew existed. As half demon, she also has a job, and its a job she finds difficult to embrace.

Sweet Evil  paints a very literal picture of "good vs. evil", but it's a picture that's fascinating and complex. There's a tier system, with dukes and demons, and even spirits that monitor the progress of their work. I think this paranormal world was what really captured me. It's a world that is better experienced than explained.

But where this book also shines is in the relationship. Compared to other angel books, I think Higgins made these characters "human". They have their strengths, but most importantly, they have their weaknesses. Yes, perhaps the romance between Anna and Kaiden developed too quickly, but so what? I really cared for them as a couple! I was invested in their relationship. This is the kind of insta-love that I don't mind at all, because it had chemistry and it was layered with emotion.

This book is nearly perfect, and my only complaint rests with a pretty major plot-hole dealing with a certain road trip. I won't go into details, but I will say that this: I didn't catch this plot hole until I finished the book. I was that into it. Hopefully, if you catch this plot hole, it won't take away from your reading experience. It didn't for me, and I cannot wait for book two (which I just found out WILL BE PUBLISHED. So YAY!).

RATING: 4.5 SLICES




2 comments:

  1. Sweet Evil sounds really good! I've heard so many positive things about it :) I love relationships when they have a lot of emotion in them and the plot sounds really interesting! Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! Can't wait for Sweet Hope!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood
    http://ya-sisterhood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete