Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test


The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter 
Release: April 19, 2011

- - - - 

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS..



- - - -


I've seen rave reviews about this book, but honestly, I didn't like it.

The book starts off with Kate Winters moving into an unfamiliar city and caring for her very sick mother. I had no issues with this, because I'm pretty close to my mother. I could relate to Kate's desire to stay beside her mother day in and day out.

By the time Kate starts her new school, though, things become incredibly conventional and unrealistic. Kate is no beauty queen, no social butterfly, but she immediately catches Dylan's eye and his ex-girlfriend (Ava) is jealous. This jealousy leads Ava to do something pretty reckless, and Kate eventually makes a deal with a mysterious man to save her life. If this sounds a little weird and crazy, then yes, it is.

Turns out, the mysterious man is Henry (aka Hades). He wants Kate to live in his manor for a few months out of each year. That's his deal for saving Ava's life.

What I don't get is why Kate makes the deal in the first place. And I don't get why Ava suddenly becomes friends with Kate. And don't get me started on the fact that Henry is a virgin! Really? I think that could have been left out and it would have bumped my rating up a half a star. Oh well. I also didn't like how almost every person was connected to a Greek god or goddess. Again, very contrived.

Also, supposedly, Kate isn't grated immortality. Not yet. No, the simple mortal has to go through a series of "tests" to see if she is worthy to be Henry's queen. I won't spoil this book for those who still wish to read it, but I found the tests incredibly disappointing. Not to mention, lame and out of place because these tests are based off the seven virtues and this does not mix with greek mythology.

I'm not against Greek mythology. I find it fascinating. What Aimee Carter seemed to suggest in this book, however, is that these Greek gods and goddesses were "perfect" and that is why they are immortal. If you take a look at Greek mythology, you find that Greek gods and goddesses are just glorified human beings. They all are jealous, power-hungry, selfish, and far from "virtuous".

*rolls eyes*

Honestly, I don't think I will be continuing with this series. I hate writing negative reviews (and I don't write them often) but I really didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped.

RATING: 2 SLICES 



No comments:

Post a Comment