Friday, February 14, 2014

Review: Harry Potter Series




Last year, I made a goal for myself: to finally finish reading all 7 Harry Potter book. If you haven't been following my blog, then I should probably explain why it took so long to read all Harry Potter books. After Sirius' death in The Order of the Phoenix, my younger pre-teen self was devastated. I began reading other books, and was never fully motivated to read The Half-Blood Prince or The Deathly Hallows. It's the plain honest true, and I'm not proud of it. But, now, I am proud to say that I've read all 7 books. And I loved them all.

Before I offer my detailed thoughts, here is quick breakdown (with SPOILERS):

-
-
-
-
-

Favorite HP Book: The Goblet of Fire
Least Favorite HP Book: The Half-Blood Prince
Did you watch the movies before reading book 6 & 7: Yes.
Favorite Character: It's a tie between Hermione and Snape. Love both character so much.
Least Favorite Character: Dudley.
Most tragic death: Sirius' death still brought me to tears. But I also have to say that I cried when Dumbledore died, too.
Favorite HP ship: I stand by Ron and Hermione.
Favorite House: Hufflepuff (because need some love, Tonks is cool, and I think I'd be sorted into Hufflepuff)
Least Favorite House: Slytherin (this was a tough decision)


-
-
-
-
-

If you have not read the books, or watched the HP movies, everyone has at least heard of Harry Potter. It's the fantastical tale of a seemingly ordinary boy, who discovers he's a wizard, and is invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's the series that made J.K. Rowling one of the highest paid authors in the world. And deservedly so. I began my HP reading journey a year or two after the books came out. And I devoured the books, until Sirius' death forced me to step away and recover. It has taken me YEARS to return to this series, but I am so glad I decided to read all seven books in 2013, rather than picking up book 6 and book 7.  It was a exciting ride, and this is a series I will be rereading in the years to come.

It's hard to adequately describe my love for this series. I love Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I love Snape, Dumbledore, and the other members of the Hogwarts staff (even Umbridge, who I love to hate). It's so easy to fall in love with the protagonist of a series, but writers tend to forget side characters. This is not the case with the Harry Potter books. Rowling has managed to create a vast array of characters, each unique in their own way. As Harry goes through each year at Hogwarts, new characters are introduced,  and their journey becomes more dark and dangerous. My favorite character is a tie between Hermione and Snape, but if I had to be honest, Snape's character development is more intriguing and his character more complex. With Harry Potter, Rowling has also created one of the most iconic villains in literature: Voldemort. Dark and power-hungry, he's able to overcome all obstacles in his way. Every obstacle except Harry Potter--the boy who lived.  

As much as I loved the characters and the writing, I find that Rowling's strength is in world building. I want to live in the Wizarding World. And I want to visit Hogwarts. I am in awe with all the tiny facets of the world that I'm still discovering via the Pottermore site. The world is so vast, filled with other schools and mythical creatures (hypogriffs, goblins, etc). And how can I forget about Quidditch--the wizard sport that can best be described as basketball on brooms, with a few extra rules. There's also the Ministry of Magic: aka the wizarding government. There are chocolate frogs, butter beer, and Bertie Botts Ever Flavor Beams! That's all I have to say.

Harry Potter's journey to defeating Voldemort is not without sacrifices, though, and it's not without death. Sirius' death was emotional for me, and I was cheering when Mrs. Weasley managed to kill that crazy Bellatrix. And while I hated that Sirius died, I am convinced that it was necessary. I feel the same about Dumbledore's death. It was frustrating, and sad, but necessary to complete Harry's journey. What really saddens me is the sacrifices made at the Battle of Hogwarts. No battle is without casualty, but my heart breaks when I think of Fred, Tonks, and Lupin dying. 

After reading this series, I stand by my opinion that my favorite book is The Goblet of Fire. I love the competition aspect of the story, but more than that, I think that it's a major turning point in the series. The series goes from a fun fantasy tale, to a tale that's more darker and complex. And I love that! If there is one aspect of the series that was subpar, it's the romance. Harry goes from crushing on Cho Chang, to falling for Ginny Weasly. I have not problem with pairing the two together, but I feel like there was a lack of chemistry. The only couple that had chemistry was Ron and Hermione. It's only a minor complaint, and one I can easily overlook. With a great plot, world, and a cast of fascinating characters, how can I not love this series? 






No comments:

Post a Comment