Thursday, January 2, 2014

About Unread Books (and Excuses)

I have a confession to make: I haven't read HALF of the books I own.

I know a number of bloggers who receive TONS of books (some unsolicited). So it's understandable why their TBR pile is sky high. It's a good problem, and I know that I am not the only one.

My issue has to do with the fact that I keep BUYING books, when I have so many on my shelf to read. Why do I do this? Why can't I just finish the books I already have? It's a question many non-readers ask. But you guys--my fellow readers and bloggers--understand me, right?

No, it's not a waste of money to buy books. I would never think that. I love taking a new book home and finding a place for it on my shelf. I love opening up a new book, eager to go on a new, unexpected adventure.

What I don't love is feeling overwhelmed by all the books I want to read, knowing I don't have the time to read them ALL. I keep telling myself that I will read all the book, but it's a pretty little lie. I know that, every year, there will be more books that I want to read and add to my TBR pile. It's a cycle that never ends.

I know that others will say "What about e-books?" and "What about libraries?". The problem is that there's something different about actually owning a book and seeing it on my shelf.

So here are some of the excuses I tell myself, when I decide to buy a new book:

- I've already read this book and I HAVE TO HAVE IT ON MY SHELF. I loved this book so much!
- It's the second (or third) book in a series, and I have to complete the series.
- The cover--IT'S SO PRETTY (they say "never just a book by it's cover, but that's SO not true).
- I'll read this book……….eventually.
- There's a book signing for this author, and I HAVE to get a signed book. 

What about you? How do you "excuse" yourself when buying yet ANOTHER book? Do you have a rule for yourself (i.e. buying 1 book for every 2/3 books you read)?

For as long as there are books, though, I will keep buying them. I might have to "clean" out my shelf and donate books I don't think I'll re-read again, but for now, I'll just keep accumulating books. And read them when I can.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an English/language arts/reading teacher by training (still looking for that job!), so my excuse to myself AND my husband is "But I NEED these books for my classroom library!" I do intend to stock all of my books in my future classroom, but considering I don't yet have a classroom.... ;) Oh well, it works. I rarely feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I go to a bookstore I justify it by saying it's right here and if I don't get it now I'll forget

    ReplyDelete