Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review: If I Lie


If I Lie by Corrine Jackson 
Release: August 28, 2012
Source: Purchased 



A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.


Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise


I bought If I Lie on a whim. The cover was eye catching, and the reviews raved about this book.

Now, I see what the hype is all about.

Quinn kissed a boy who isn't her boyfriend, days before he was set to be deployed. In a very military-centric town, this is unthinkable and unforgivable. The problem? Quinn never cheated on her boyfriend, Carey. There are things that happened prior to her being caught that Quinn has promised to keep quiet about. It's not her secret to tell, and she's bound by that promise.

Now Carey is declared MIA and the people in her town are livid. They blame everything on Quinn.

This book was phenomenally written. I remember being so moved by the writing and Quinn's struggle, that it brought me to tears. If that isn't a sign of how emotionally invested I was in this book, I don't know what else could convince you.

Yes, I guessed the secret within the first 40/50 pages, but I still found the reveal satisfying enough. I found myself hating Carey, hating the people at Quinn's school, and even hating Quinn for keeping the secret. And yet, keeping that secret was what made me admire Quinn as a character. She's so strong, the silent and brave type. I don't think I would have been able to remain sane if I had been placed in the same situation.

But not everyone is vindictive towards Quinn. In particular, there is a older gentleman. I loved George because he was honest, senile, but also because he refused to believe all the rumors. He helped to provide a safe haven from school, and for some time, he helped her forget Carey and the drama he started by having Quinn keep his secret.

I also appreciate that the ending managed to tie up all the loose ends, while still managing to remain open-ended. It's not a happy ending, but it's definitely a satisfying one. And again, the writing was phenomenal. Corrine Jackson is a author to look out for in the years to come.

RATING: 5 SLICES 


2 comments:

  1. What a great review! I haven't read much about this book at all. And the story sounds so unique! Quin sounds like an amazingly strong character, and aren't those just the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this book!!! I've had my eye on it and I think it sounds awesome. So I'm glad to hear that it certainly lives up to the hype!

    ReplyDelete