Sunday, October 14, 2012

Review: Venom

Venom by Fiona Paul
Release: October 30, 2012

Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancé, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancé, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?


Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.

I admit it. I lust after covers, and Venom's cover was what drew me to the book. Then I read the description and I HAD TO HAVE IT. Thanks to Jennifer Dee, I was able to get my hands on a pretty, pretty ARC and I devoured it. People who say that they hate historical would do themselves a service by reading this book. It's delicious, mysterious, and full of swoon. It's not slow or boring at all.

This book takes place during the Renaissance Venice--with water, gondolas, romance, and intrigue! Fiona Paul truly has a way of making the world come to life. And in this world, Cassandra (Cass) Caravello is among the elite. She has name, power, wealth, and prestige. Or so it seems. Things begin to unravel when one of Cassandra's friends passes away and one trip to her grave changes everything. Where the body of her friend should have been lies another lady, with a red X on her chest. It's clear she's been murdered, but by who? 

Then Cassandra meets Flaco and her world is turned upside down. Lowly, handsome, and full of charm, he's the last person that Cassandra wants to associate with. Besides, she has a fiancé. But if Cassandra is to ever find her friend's body and return it to its rightful tomb, she has no choice but to team with Falco. 

My only complaint with this book, is that Cassandra seemed to trust Falco too easily. But again, it's not like she has choice. She wants answers and a part of her is desperate for adventure, away from the stuffy confines of etiquette. I think chemistry these two have makes up for how quickly Cassandra falls for Falco. They are both fully developed characters, with flaws and strengths, making them all the more fascinating to read about. And the world! It was vivid, lush, and dark. I loved it. 


So do yourself a favor and read this book when it comes out. 



RATING: 4.5 SLICES 







10 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. The cover is TOO DIE FOR OMG. I definitely need to pick this one up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "People who say that they hate historical would do themselves a service by reading this book." BWAHAHA! Oh the accuracy of this comment is so true. Loved your review and I agree with you on the Cass trusting Falco but it's true. She wanted answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO excited to get my copy of this one! I've heard lots of good things! I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it and that the characters are so well developed. That's definitely a must-have for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED IT. :D Great review. It was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for my copy to come in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Venom, I'm excited for the next book. I especially thought Cass was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing about Venom and I end up drooling over it a bit more each and every time. You are darn right! That cover is AHMAHZING. (Happy Endings reference.) I usually am not too big on historical fiction, but this one seems to have enough action and intrigue to keep me glued to the pages. Hopefully I will be glued there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, sounds good! I haven't read too many historical books (I never get recommendations for them!) but I want to read more of them than I do. I'm definitely interested in reading this one now. (:

    Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I finally read your review. Somehow I keep seeing this book come p but I never read a review or even the blurb thinking it wouldnt interest me. But I read your review and I am absolutely pining for it now. Cant wait to get my hands on a copy. Thanks for the great review dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this and I adored it! I agree with what you said about Cass and Falco, but I did enjoy them together. :D

    ReplyDelete